Wednesday, August 26, 2015

NIV Zondervan Study Bible, a review


This is a long anticipated new Study Bible, I've been hearing the buzz about it on various Christian blogs.  So I was excited to be able to review it.  Since I most often use the NIV Bible, this one was of special interest.  If the last Study Bible I reviewed was disappointing, this one provides all I would need in a Study Bible and more.

For one thing, the Bible is full of colorful pictures and illustrations that make reading through it a visual delight.  Especially for those of us who are visual learners.  The introductions to each Book of the Bible are informative and provide information that will help both new Bible readers and those of us who have been around the block more than a few times.

Of course, there are plenty of cross references and notes at the bottom of each page where there is Biblical text.  I like how the notes at the bottom of the page are in a light color, it makes them quicker to locate and easy on the eyes.

There is a large concordance as well as numerous commentary articles in the back of the Bible.  While there is the usual Maps section in the back, there are numerous maps within the context of each Book of the Bible, too.

This is quite a large and heavy book, one you most likely would want to keep on your desk or in a nearby bookshelf for study.  However, it does come with an Access Code for a digital edition. 

My only complaint is the small font but then again, it is already a big Study Bible and increasing the font would be difficult to do and keep to a size one can lift off the table.

The General Editor is D. A. Carson.  I highly recommend this Study Bible.  It would make a perfect gift for a friend or family member who needs encouragement to study the Bible.  Not to mention an enjoyable read yourself.  I knew this was a great Study Bible when my husband tried to steal it from me before I had a chance to review it. 

The NIV Zondervan Study Bible was given to me for the purpose of review by the Publisher but the opinions are my own.

Further information at Amazon can be found... here.*

*Most links to Amazon.com are Associate links.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

The small font would get to me!

Thanks for posting this review.