Tuesday, February 24, 2015

NIV Proclamation Bible, a review


This Bible is not what I expected as it does not have indepth Study notes.  So if you are looking for a Bible to help you along in your understanding of specific scriptures or word studies, this one is not for you.

It is a good hardback NIV Bible for everyday use.  The font is clear and just the right size for easy reading.  There is good cross referencing, a brief description of each Book of the Bible, and an excellent concordance.  Everything you need for a basic Bible is here.

But it is not what I expect from a "Study Bible".

There are essays and articles in the front of the Bible from various theologians.  These would be especially helpful to pastors and Bible teachers.  They are titled:
  1. A Bible Overview
  2. The Historical Reliability of the Bible
  3. Finding the "Melodic Line" of a Book
  4. From Text to Doctrine: The Bible and Theology
  5. From Text to Life: Applying the Old Testament
  6. From Text to Life: Applying the New Testament
  7. From Text to Sermon: Preaching the Bible
  8. From Text to Study: Small Groups and One-to-Ones
  9. Biblical Interpretation: A Short History
If you are looking for a Study Bible with indepth word studies, charts, indepth maps, etc. then this Bible is not for you.  However, I would say it does have a place in some reference shelves for the included essays.

This Bible was provided by the publisher for the sake of review but the opinions are my own.

More information can be located on Amazon.com... here.

3 comments:

Catsngrams said...

Thanks for the info I am looking for a
study bible also and I had seen that one. Now I know to keep looking

Vee said...

That was good and honest. I find a Study Bible highly distracting so I leave those to others. Not that I haven't spent time looking at maps or looking up words in Strong's.

Anonymous said...

The thing that draws me is the application sections for both old and new. Application can be the hardest to come by. Thanks for reviewing it. Pam SD