Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A Review: Fierce Convictions: The Extraordinary Life of Hannah More: Poet, Reformer, Abolitionist


I enjoyed this biography very much.  I knew the work was based on a graduate thesis by the author so I wasn't certain how easy it would be to read.  But my concerns were unfounded for while packing the book with a lot of detail and information, it read (to me) like a novel. 

As stated in the forward by Eric Metaxas, one wonders how no one knows about the importance of Hannah More in the history of England.  He first came to know her while researching her close friend, William Wilberforce.  When he met Karen Swallow Prior and found out about her research on Hannah More, he encouraged her to turn it into a book.

Hannah worked closely with William Wilberforce in the abolition movement in England and was a friend of John Newton.  But she was also a woman of literary talent with writing plays, poetry, nonfiction books, and a well known novel.  Among her close friends were Samuel Johnson and various British aristocracy.  Which is quite unusual for a person born into a lower class who became part of the new middle class of England... not to mention a woman.

After reading this book, I find I know so much more about 18th Century England prior to the Victorian era.  This was the era influenced earlier by John and Charles Wesley, Whitefield, and other early Evangelicals.  All of whom were in a battle for the soul of England with the Church of England and the ousted Catholic Church.

I learned a lot from reading this book, not all historical facts and stories.  You cannot read it without coming away with the knowledge of how God can use individual people whom He has gifted to do amazing things for Him. 

At the same time, in reading More's biography, you understand (or perhaps not) how someone who influenced a nation so much as Hannah More can be lost to the history books due to the pettiness of others.  It was certainly not a good time to be a middle class bright Christian woman.

I highly recommend this biography!  You can find it on Amazon... here.*

*This link is an Associate's link to Amazon.com.  Should you make a purchase, I receive a small percentage of the sale and it cost you nothing.  Thank you.  :)

While this book was provided by the publisher for the purpose of review, all opinions are my own.

8 comments:

Vee said...

Sounds wonderful...I do enjoy a well written work of nonfiction and all the better when being introduced to someone new.

Scrappy quilter said...

This is definitely a book I want to read.

Anonymous said...

As a very devout Catholic would I find it offensive or distasteful?

Anonymous said...

As a devout Catholic would I find it offensive or distasteful?

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I like biographies and this one sounds great!

Deanna

Anonymous said...

Nice review ... makes one want to read it. Pam (SD)

hopeinbrazil said...

I heard about this book yesterday for the first time (it came up on my Amazon recommendations). Now, after your glittering review, it's on my TBR list.

Heather LeFebvre said...

Okay! I just put this on my list! It sounds very good. I'm sure I will really enjoy it! Funny that you mentioned that Goudge book to me because the very same day another blog friend posted that she was reading that! Guess I'll have to keep my eye out for it too!